Tuesday, 2 August 2011

Social Media and the Fire Extinguisher

Today I had a glorious insight into the joys - and speed - of social media.

Basically I needed a photo of a fire extinguisher to use in one of my videos (this one, if you're curious).

I needed it quickly.

So, like I sometimes do, I asked my friends on Twitter and Facebook to help.

Within SECONDS I had a phone call from my former BBC colleague - @QuentinRayner

"I'm just taking one now on my phone, what email address shall I send it to," he said, standing in the BBC newsroom.

A few seconds later - and BEFORE Quentin's picture arrived - this photo appeared on Facebook:


It's a photo of Quentin taking the picture, posted by another of my former colleagues.

Sure enough, Quentin's picture arrived a minute later!

I'd barely caught my breath.

Many thanks to other people who also sent photos (including @georgeerice and @jbwan) - I appreciated it.

Surely the best picture - which I was unable to use for reasons which may be apparent - was this one from prolific blogger and bird enthusiast @grrlscientist


Here's the video I needed the picture for:

4 comments:

  1. By that time, however, the fire extinguisher in question had already .... site dedicated to covering digital culture, social media and technology. extinguisher stands

    ReplyDelete
  2. شركة نقل عفش واثاث
    شركة نقل عفش
    اهم شركات كشف تسربات المياه بالدمام كذلك معرض اهم شركة مكافحة حشرات بالدمام والخبر والجبيل والخبر والاحساء والقطيف كذكل شركة تنظيف خزانات بجدة وتنظيف بجدة ومكافحة الحشرات بالخبر وكشف تسربات المياه بالجبيل والقطيف والخبر والدمام
    شركة تنظيف خزانات بجدة
    شركة مكافحة حشرات بالدمام
    شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالدمام

    ReplyDelete